- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Posted on 06-17-2016
HOT! HOT! HOT!
The temperatures are rising, and with that comes an increased need to monitor your pet’s safety in their everyday activity. Pets can easily overheat, especially those breeds with shorter muzzles such as Pugs, Boston Terriers, and Bulldogs.
We all know that we shouldn’t leave animals in enclosed cars or buildings, but even being outdoors can be dangerous.
Follow these quick tips to keep your pet cool this summer:
- Keep water bowls filled and in the shade. Be sure that the water is fresh every day, and if possible have water available in an automatic water bowl. During extreme heat even water bowls placed in the shade can be hot enough that pets won’t want to drink.
- Grooming your pet’s coat regularly is important to keep them comfortable. Matted hair holds heat against the body so be sure to bathe and brush your pet frequently. Shaving them down completely may not be the answer, especially for white and light-skinned pets.
- Make sure that shade is available at all times of the day if your pet must be outside.
- Let them take a dip in the pool. For pets that love water, keep an inexpensive children’s pool filled with a safe amount of water available.
- Use caution when walking pets; especially on pavement, sidewalks and even trails, as they can easily burn the pads on their feet. Although these pads look tough they can blister or burn easily. Check pads closely after running, hiking, or other activity with your dog.
- Make sure that your dog or cat does not sneak into an open car or enclosed buildings such as sheds and get trapped.
What should you do if your pet gets overheated?
Get your pet into a cool area and offer them water. Try to slowly cool their body temperature. If the animal is disoriented or limp take them immediately to your veterinarian. Treatment may include IV fluids, pain medication, and other supportive care.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.